Pinterest Pin It

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The Lazy Girl's Guide to 'Cleaning House'.


I hate to clean. Hate it. And well I will admit....I am a lazy bum and I KNOW I am not the only lazy bum out there. So this is for all of you that are like me.

Getting Started:

1. The moment you are in a mood to clean, do it and keep going until you can't anymore. 
-I do my best cleaning in the morning.

2. Find what keeps you energized and motivated, for me it's putting some music on really loud.

3. Have your kids help clean and call it 'character building'...Did I just say that? -Pun intended.
-(Honestly I think it's great to involve your children in helping clean the house because it makes them feel important and part of the family. Plus it preps them for when they are adults.) -No, I'm not a mom. Yes, I think it's okay to have in plan my parenting techniques...and yes, I know it's subject to change once they come.


4. The 'List'. Make a detailed list/chart of things that need to be done every day, every other day, once a week, every other week, monthly, yearly, etc. And check it every day.


5. If you are squished for time and have company coming over soon, then pick the big and important things to clean and skip the little things. Honestly, most people don't notice if your picture frames need dusted.


6. Lower the standard. Stop expecting everyone else's homes to be perfect too. 
We all do it. We all live our daily lives in a home that's not perfect, and then the moment we have guests coming we panic. Maybe if we allowed them to see a non-perfect home, then they won't have to fret so much either...They'd probably feel more comfortable to make themselves 'at home' anyways (which is always my goal).

Below are some very insightful/useful sights I've found for you.


The Kitchen:

1. Don't keep a LOT of dishes. Only have in your kitchen the necessary amount for you, your family, and the regular amount of guests. That way you are forced to wash them every day.

2. Lightly squirt your dish soap all over your tile floors and using the sink sprayer, spray the floor. Take a large towel (designated for cleaning) and with your feet on the towel swipe it all over the floor. Lay the towel to dry and toss in laundry. BAM! No extra clean-up necessary.  That's right, I do that.

3. Use your Vinegar Spray to clean the counter tops and cabinets every day after doing dishes.


The Bathroom:

1. I can't remember the last time I lived in a place that didn't have extremely hard water that likes to leave stains. I discovered that if I squirt my toilet cleaner or bleach around the inside of my towel bowl over night right before bed that the long hours of the night will allow the harsh chemicals to eat away anything in there. Then all I need to do in the morning is swish around the toilet brush and flush. I'm done in under one minute.

2. Squeegy your shower walls after every shower to keep the hard water and soap scum from building up.

3. After washing the kitchen floors with the towel, ring it out (if necessary) and -using your feet- wipe it over the bathroom floor.

4. Using toilet paper (or a designated microfiber towel), wipe off the mirror after a steamy shower.


The Living/Family Room:

1. Vacuum hardwood floors (you'll need to adjust the floor setting on it) and THEN swiffer. Sweeping is completely unnecessary when you own a vacuum. BUT, if you prefer to sweep instead then get rid of your pile at the end with your vacuum instead of getting annoyed with trying to sweep it into the dust pan.

2. Dust using only a lightly dampened cloth. -No need for a dusting spray full of irritating chemicals.

3. Don't have too much stuff/clutter. Keeping your 'stuff' to a minimum keeps more space in your home, gives less to clean, is inexpensive, gives a 'cleaner appearance' and less work when moving. So every time you move, or just once a year, make a list of what you are unwilling to get rid of and what you are okay parting with and then give it away or sell it.
Less stuff = less clutter.


What have you found to be helpful in your cleaning routines?


This is for you. It was too funny to pass up.





No comments: