Pinterest Pin It

Friday, February 28, 2014

How to Part With an 'Overwhelming' Wardrobe...

-Love that part in the movie. Chick-Flicks

For people such as myself that find it very difficult to part with an article of clothing, it can be challenging to finally give in and do so. Since I have been the same size since I was 15 (I count moving from a 5 juniors to a 2 in ladies as the same size) my clothes kept piling up more and more throughout the years. Finally I had enough sense knocked into my thick skull to part somewhat with my overwhelming wardrobe and for some time I would at least once a year scavenge through my closet and make a large pile to give away to the local Blind Thrift Store. 
But then a huge moment in my life came, a turning point really. In the spring of 2013, Hubby and I were finished with his seminary classes and it was time to get rid of as much of our stuff as possible so we could fit whatever else into our little Geo Tracker and move back to our home state before coming overseas. I went through my clothes over and over and over again. I had only 2 extra large totes to fill with my clothes plus my last minute suitcase. I went from a wardrobe of over 5 extra large totes to only 2 in a month's time. Week by week I dwindled it down more and more until finally it reached our limit. 
So, how in the world did I do it? What are the suggested guidelines useful for such a job?....

Give Away Pile:
1. If I only wore it once or twice a year.
2. If it was too out-dated to work with for a few more years to come.
3. If it was too young for my age group.
4. If it didn't fit right or suit my body type.
5. If I always hung onto it for a "just in-case" time that I could use in the future, but never actually wore it.
6. If I had too many items in that color or style. (I had over 50 skirts all only 2 different styles).
7. If I did not start to cringe and sweat when the thought of giving it away came to mind.
8. If it was too ugly, worn, or just plain ridiculous.
9. If it was itchy or just had a weird fabric feeling to it.
10. If it had absolutely no practicality whatsoever.
11. If it needed any mending or sewing of any kind to suit style or modesty necessities. -That's a rule only for emergency situations like the one I was in.

Keep:
1. It was easy to wear with lots of different outfits.
2. It fit well.
3. Was in great condition.
4. I loved it beyond reason.
5. Was versatile, practical, and cute.
6. My husband LOVED it.
7. Was very stylish and would be for years to come.
8. Easy to care for.
9. Was a color or style that was needed among my wardrobe.
10. If it made me look better. (Suited my body type/shape).

Throw Into the Trash:
1. If it had holes, stains, or was too worn.
2. Under garments.
3. Would be a horrible act upon another human being to allow them to wear the evil garment.

What to do With The Clothes to Give Away:
1. Donate to a thrift store or goodwill.
2. Donate to a church to give to a family in need.
3. Hold a garage/yard sale.
4. Give to a homeless shelter.
5. Make sure they are folded, clean, and not overly wrinkled before placing them into someone else's hands.


Honestly, that really big move for us was a big wake up call for me. I realized how overwhelmingly materialistic I was. Sure, I didn't have anything expensive except for my pearls and my engagement ring, but I did have a lot of 'stuff' that I held onto very tightly for not a single good reason. I would find myself crying over having to make decisions to part with my stuff, stuff that didn't have any value, stuff that was just stuff that would wear out and burn up one day. That move gave me the knock on my head and on my heart that I needed to realize what was really important in life, and that no amount of clothes or furniture, or nice dishes, or cute tables or picture frames could ever be of more value than family, friends, others and serving God. 


No comments: