Pinterest Pin It

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Pinterest Experiment, does it work? - 'The Lazy Girl's Microwave Cleaning.'

Last week I found a pin about an 'easy-peezy' way of cleaning out your microwave, so I wanted to test it out. In the blog post the pin led me to the girl explaining how there will be no scrubbing necessary, just wipe and BAM it's clean. She showed a picture of a 'before' and 'after' of her microwave saying this is something that everyone knows about but just in case she let her microwave get really disgusting just to share that post. Could it be true? That there is no need to grab out my most scrubby of scrubbers and burn 200 calories just trying to clean my microwave?...

Here is how my microwave started. Dry yuckiness all over.



Directions:
Pour a cup of vinegar into a measuring cup.
Then pour a cup of water into that making two cups worth of this liquid.
Pop it in the microwave for ten minutes...
And then wipe...

Errrr....at the 9 minute mark my husband and I jumped after a loud exploding sound which literally made our microwave jump. He carefully opened the microwave and all the liquid that was in the measuring cup came pouring out of the microwave...NOT something explained in that post. The cup was empty as you see in the picture below...



So I went to work and started wiping after getting the plate and everything out of it...
But hardly anything was just 'wiping off'. In fact I started having to scrub and still nothing happened.

So here are the results. NOT ONLY does our entire apartment reek of vinegar but my microwave doesn't look much different and now I have two dirty rags to clean and a new dish to wash.
Do you see the stuff still stuck on top and the sides? So gross.



Do I recommend this? NO. Save yourself the trouble and just try very hard to have a cover over your things being microwaved or just be sure to wiped it down every time you do the dishes.

Upcoming post: 'Our home-made Chicago Inspired Deep Dish Pizza'

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've wondered about that, but haven't had time to try it. Now I know..lol

Amber said...

Glad to help! :)

Melissa said...

10 minutes is a very long time to leave anything in the microwave...all the liquid boiled over...odd!

Stephani said...

I usually just microwave water in there, but not for 10 minutes. The idea is to get stuff softer, which generally works, but it makes it "easier" not necessarily "no work involved."