Pinterest Pin It

Monday, December 3, 2012

At-Home Ring Cleaning -does it work?

I saw this post on Pinterest about how to clean your ring at home. I, living many states away from my jewelry store that Hubby discovered the ring meant for me, needed a good ring cleaning. I didn't want to go to the store and buy that jar of pink liquid that we're supposed to soak our rings in and brush and all that...I personally don't trust such hard chemicals. However...after following this pin I discovered it had three ways a person can clean their ring. One was with baking soda and warm water, another using dishwasher detergent, and the other ammonia. Since our apartment doesn't have a dishwasher I don't own dish-washing detergent. And I definitely do not own ammonia. Thus the logical choice was the baking soda one, hey it wouldn't hurt to try it right?
So I dug out my baking soda and went to work.

I used a jar because quite frankly I collect jars and am obsessed with them and plus I don't trust plastic too much. The directions called for a soft bristle brush which I didn't have (I don't have random soft and hard toothbrushes just laying around for usage) so I tried a q-tip.
You will need:
baking soda
warm water
a cup/glass of some sort
your ring *duh
toothbrush or q-tip
maybe a spoon

There weren't any strict instructions on measurements so I just did 30% baking soda and 60% warm water. I let it soak in there for a good 30 minutes stirring occasionally. Then I dug it out and brushed the q-tip along the ring. The issue with the q-tip is that it couldn't get the corners and crevices very well, but I doubt a brush could have gotten inside the ring like what was needed and bothering me the most anyways.
I do take pretty good care of my ring though. I take it off for dishes and anything else that may call for it getting yucky including when I put lotion on. But it had been a good year and a half since it had been cleaned and I could see the build up in various places.
'Inside' my ring is underneath my diamond. A lot of grodiness happens to stay in there and while the baking soda soak did get some of it out it didn't get it all. I am sure though that if I left it in there maybe overnight it would have made a larger difference.

All in all I find it to have been worth it. I would definitely recommend this for in-between cleanings. It did make it shinier and bigolly what girl doesn't like having her ring capture someone's eye and put a smile on their face...

Have a great day!

Upcoming post: Pin found on Pinterest - 'The Lazy Gal's Shortcut to Microwave Cleaning...does it work?'

No comments: