Pinterest Pin It

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Cinnamon Vanilla French Toast




I have been dying to make french toast. A recipe of my own that I kept playing with has been stuck in my head for months and finally tonight I crafted it to become reality. I wanted to bake it, but our oven went capooey so stove-top it was...which was less assuring but still worked fine.


You will need: 
4 eggs
1/2 cup heavy milk -I used evaporated milk.
1/2 cup melted butter
1-2 Tb or more of cinnamon (depending on how much you like it)
1 overflowing Tb of vanilla
bread (-I used raisin bread) -I made 3/4 a loaf but had plenty left over for the full loaf.

Instructions:
*Melt butter and mix very well with eggs and other ingredients but not the bread. 
*Put a little oil in your large skillet and put on low heat setting.
*Dip each slice of bread into the mixture soaking each side.
*Gently place the wet slice of bread into the skillet...continue placing as many slices you can into the skillet.
*You will know when to flip by the color of the bread. It will not be like the texture of grilled cheese so be expecting a little softness. As long as it's golden colored then it's time. A little crisp is okay too.

*Hints: To keep the slices warm as you continue cooking each round just place on a plate with a lid on top.

*For Baking Instead: Follow instructions until it's time to place in a skillet. Instead of placing into the skillet place each wet slice of bread standing up in a dish and bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown at 350 degrees. Check often.

Enjoy! We put butter on top of our warm slices and then syrup on top (pancake style). 




No comments: