Pinterest Pin It

Thursday, January 16, 2014

From Old-Fashioned Tshirt to Cute Cardigan

Do any of you ladies remember wearing the horizontal-striped shirts from the late nineties that were slightly too wide and short? Those were quite 'in' I do remember and not only did I wear a lot of them but everyone I knew did too...especially adults. I was a teen then, but I remember VERY well.

I was recently given one of those horizontally stripped T's that was in excellent condition and had cute neutral colors. I did not have the heart to throw it away but wanted to somehow change it from the wide and short style it was. Then I remembered turning a Tshirt similar to this style into a cardigan last year but I didn't post about it. So cardigan it was...here is what I did.



1. Cut the shirt down the front middle.


2. Create a slight V by cutting off from the collar at an angle.


3. Fold over about an inch and pin down. Make sure it's inside out.


4. Sew. You can just fold and iron but then it doesn't stay like that, so I chose to sew. I bet that fabric glue would work just as well as sewing for this little job.



5. For the angles at the top I sewed it 'curly' style to keep it from fraying.


I did not like how it looked just like that...even though a belt would help...so I had the idea of adding a red ribbon to it.


6. Inside-out pin the back in thirds and then one in each front/side at the waste.




7. I quadrupled my string and looped it around my finger at each pin and then looped it through to prepare it for knotting when done with each.



8. The back needed to be brought in some so I tucked and sewed inside at the back-center right under the loop.

And that's it.



I'm sorry for the wrinkles and that I didn't straighten it...but I just wanted to show you what it looked like at the back.

So before tossing your old striped shirts into the donation bag try considering first what you can do with it...the possibilities are endless. 
Enjoy!

By the way, I love comments. Hint, hint,wink, wink. 
What are some things you have done with your old tshirts?

No comments: