Pinterest Pin It

Monday, January 21, 2013

Firing Up The Kitchen...Literally



Within the past 2 1/2 years of being married I have almost burned our home down about 5 times...like I say in my 'about me' paragraph...I have a lot to learn. However, my biggest and latest lesson of starting fires had the potential of a massive catastrophe.
As most of you know, water is the last thing to use when putting out grease fires...
Well one day a few months ago I was trying to make meatloaf for the first time. I didn't have any sort of pan that allows the fat to drain out so I used my creative skills and punched holes in one of those cheap aluminum bread pans. I then strategically placed it on top of a dish for the fat to drain out onto. Well 3 hours later and the meat still was only half done, apparently that wasn't such a crafty idea. When it was time for my husband to leave for work he decided to try and help out his frustrated wife by taking out the dish the fat and grease was dripping onto and just letting it drip onto the oven floor because it was "needing cleaned anyways...". About ten minutes after he left the entire apartment starting reeking of smoke.
I ran out into the other room and grabbed the towel that was tossed on top of the oven thinking it was catching on fire...but no it was fine. At that same time I noticed tons of smoke coming out of every crevice of my oven. I turned it off and opened it only to see huge flames filling the boxed area. I hurried up and closed it and out of shear panic I grabbed the large bowl by the sink, filled it with water and tossed it in then slamming the oven door shut. Then I realized what I had just done and I let the oven door stay shut hoping the fire would just be suffocated. That worked. A couple minutes later and it was out. Needless to say I never got to eat my meatloaf and have never made it again...
I called my husband in panic with my heart racing (for I very much fear fire) and he calmed me down. I didn't use the oven after that until I had it squeaky clean. The only logical conclusion that I could come up with for the cause of the fire was the grease dripping down onto the hot coils and thus causing a grease fire. I to this day feel so utterly lucky because throwing water onto a grease fire only intensifies it X's 3. I could have died. If you don't believe me go to the myth busters web site and look up when they tested this confirmed 'myth'. People have literally died because they tried to put out a grease fire with water! Oh my heart is racing just thinking back to this. 

So then how are we supposed to put out grease fires if we can't use water? 
The safest way would be to 'suffocate' the fire. Just place a lid onto the flame filled pan. 
Or... 
you can just pour tons of baking soda into the pan. But the best way is still to suffocate it. 
Do not ever use water or flour to put out the fire and never bat at it with a towel because then you will just spread the flames.

Do you have any crazy kitchen fire stories? If so write it in the comment section and I will pick out my favorite one and share it at a future time.

Happy cooking!

1 comment:

Brittanie said...

I nearly burned the kitchen down when one of our dogs escaped out the front foor. We chased it around the neighborhood for 45 minutes. I had beans cooking on the stove. By the time we got our naughty dog and back to the house, it was filled to the brim with smoke. Our good dog was hiding under the bed with fear and would not come out for and hour. The smell stayed for days. =)