Pinterest Pin It

Friday, July 18, 2014

"Bible Woman"



There's a term that I kept hearing over and over again my first few months that we were in the Philippines,  'Bible Woman'. 
Everyone kept using the term as if I knew what it was, even my family...but really...I had no clue. Finally I caught on in which I explained it to someone and they confirmed my words! I was correct. We Americans tend to assume that the rest of the world does things as we do and that our way is the 'right way' when in truth it's not that it's the ultimate 'right way' but that it's just the way our culture does it. In the American culture the Pastor's wife assumes the role that is played in the Philippines as the Bible Woman. She does what the church needs her to do. Whether it's counselling, playing music, filling in for the Sunday School teacher that got sick, or leading woman's bible studies, she is 'go to girl'. The difference is that for the Bible Woman she is hired, probably single, and is obligated to do all these things because it's her actual job where as the Pastor's wife is perfectly fine to 'say no' to something and isn't paid but just obligated by her ministry position to serve alongside her husband, he's the one that's paid because he was technically the one that was hired, not the wife...it's just assumed that she'll serve in the church as well. And yes, many pastors will be hired or fired solely because of his wife in America.

I actually had forgotten about this until it hit me the other day while I was reading a book. The book is about the ridiculous expectations of Pastor's wives that can not ever be met, and as I was reading this the Filipino Bible Woman jumped into my head. You may be wondering right now, "then what does the Pastor's wife in the Philippines do?" She works. She has her own job. It's very rare for only one spouse in the home to be working. Why? Because the country is so 'impoverished' they can't afford to not work, it's what the culture expects. It's assumed that the wife will have her own full time job and she won't be nearly as obligated into working in the church as the American Pastor's wife is....that's the Bible Woman's job.

What intrigues me the most about this is the strength and heart it takes for each Bible Woman to assume her hired role. It amazed me the number of young girls and women that had such a profound desire to be a Bible Woman even with knowing the possibility that they will end up at a church with no family, friends, or a husband to be there for her. These girl's eyes gleamed with the anticipation of the ministry and it was the epitome of encouragement.

It used to be, in the States, that if a woman wanted to be in the ministry she had to marry into it. However, in the past decade or so it's gladly been changing. Women have realized that they can serve the Lord in the ministry in so many other ways without having to be married. I know of gals I went to college with that are single full-time missionaries. There are women's ministries, deaf ministries, children's ministries, writing ministries, bible study ministries, teachers, missionaries, and the list goes on! You don't have to preach to a church to be in the ministry these days and oh how refreshing it is to know that there is so much more out there that we can do for the Lord! Yes, I'm married....but it's so encouraging to know that if I weren't that there is plenty I could do in the ministry. 

Are you in some kind of ministry? If so, what is it? What have been your challenges and your life changing moments?

No comments: